Native Mobile Advertising
Mobile Advertising Watch is a leading technology media property dedicated to covering the rapidly evolving world of mobile advertising, reviewing new solutions, giving reliable and actionable tips and breaking important technology news.

Can Media Companies Create ‘Power Users’? Ooyala Video Index Suggests Answer is Yes

Ooyala, well known for premium video publishing, production workflow, analytics, and monetization, is out with its Q2 2016 Global Video Index. The Index includes insights from more than 3.5 billion video analytic events per day from 220 million viewers across the world.

The findings, according to Ooyala, can help broadcasters and publishers turn average viewers into power users by making smarter content and advertising decisions.

“The report shows that mobile devices, for the first time, now account for more than half of all online viewing, and compares video engagement between iOS versus Android users,” according to the company. “It also continues a quarterly analysis of the growth of programmatic trading, as well as highlights how subscription services can reduce churn.”

The report profiles power-user engagement across advertising- (AVOD), subscription- (SVOD) and transactional-based (TVOD) business models.

Highlights of the report include:

  • On AVOD news sites, power users visit 37 percent more during the work week than on weekends. They also prefer computers to consume content for longer periods, compared to the average user who uses a mobile phone. They watch 17 percent more content on Thursdays and Fridays than Monday through Wednesday, and 37 percent more than on Saturday and Sunday.
  • For SVOD entertainment sites, 76 percent of power users visit 2 to 3 days per week, with peak viewing occurring Friday and Saturday. Mondays see the least traffic from power users.
  • As for TVOD sites, power users produce the slowest traffic early in the week, but on the weekend stream about 13X more content than during the week.

The report reveals that — for the first time ever — mobile devices now represent more than half of all online viewing, reaching nearly 51 percent.

“This is a 15 percent increase from one year ago and a staggering 203 percent from 2014,” notes the report. “Smartphones made up 43 percent of all video views, a 10 percent increase from one year ago, while tablets made up the other eight percent, an impressive 51 percent increase from the same time period.”

Android and iOS grab 98 percent of all mobile online viewing. For smartphones, specifically, iOS owns 52 percent of video plays while Android captures the remaining 48 percent.

“The findings in the report further manifest the utmost importance of having a proper analytics solution that gives granular insight into your video business,” said Ooyala Co-Founder and SVP of Products and Solutions, Belsasar Lepe. “Only with analytics and the insights can content providers understand just how much their audience engages on mobile devices or how to properly combat subscriber churn. It can’t be overlooked, not anymore.”

Leave a Reply